Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 02:02:09 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fetching distfiles off-site

David J. Kanter wrote:

> My FreeBSD box has only a 56K modem, but I have access to non-BSD machines
> that have T1 lines. I'd like to use those machines to download the larger
> distfiles, and transfer them onto my BSD machine with a Zip disk.
>
> How can I interpret the Makefile of a port to ensure that I get all the
> appropriate distfiles? Just look at the DISTFILES, BUILD_DEPENDS, and
> RUN_DEPENDS?

Pretty much.  A few caveats though.  First, not all ports have
DISTFILES, you should read /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk to see how
DISTFILES is determined in that case.  Second, you need to look at
PATCHFILES, if present, too.  There may be other things, look around for
fetch related stuff in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk for the full story.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D