Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 23:48:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        n0go013 <ttz@blahdeblah.demon.co.uk>, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Vinum now working with GEOM (was: Re: [ GEOM tests ] disklabel warnings and vinum drives lost )

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Robert Watson wrote:

> > This turns out to be vinum doing a DIOCWLABEL to make the label writable
> > before writing its configuration, but GEOM does not support that ioctl I
> > presume. It should be safe to ignore these DIOCWLABEL ioctl return
> > values as the actual writing of the vinum data should give a suitable
> > error if making the label writable fails and is important. The patch
> > below is Robert's patch with all 3 other issues fixed, and together,
> > this seems to be enough to make vinum work again.
>
> Ok -- I went ahead and booted and ran the merged patch on my testbox,
> and Vinum is up and running fine with GEOM.  I think we're set to commit
> -- do you want to, or shall I?

Ok -- it appears to work in my environment also, so at a first glance, it
looks like Vinum is working properly with GEOM.  I've committed the
various patches to the CVS repository, so anyone interested in
experimenting to make sure it works for them also can sync up and give it
a try.

The usual warnings about data integrity with pre-production software apply
:-).

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories