Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:51:10 +0100
From:      Frank Staals <frankstaals@gmx.net>
To:        Graham Bentley <gbentley@uk2.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Working at Console

Graham Bentley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am interested in setting up a text based / console system.
>
> So far I have learnt how to recompile the kernel and get
> 1024x768 console. I have 'mc' loaded because I am
> familiar with that. And of course sendmail is already sending
> mail. Then there is elinks for web ...
>
> What other apps are people using / recommend for other
> tasks on this type of system for ;
>
> Email (mutt, pine, other?)
> Word Processing
> Music CD
> MP3
> CD Writing
> Screen ?
>
> and any other usefull programs that replace their X equivs ?
>
> Thanks !

To play mp3's from commandline I usually just use mplayer, but you might
also want to check out musicpd allthough that might be a little to
drastic for what you want. For cd-writing I use the burncd command, it
comes with the cdrecord port. If you allready had some (gui) progam to
burn cd's you can count on it you allready have cdrecord installed :)

For IM-programs  ( don't know if you use them ) you might want to check
out irssi + bitlbee

--
-Frank Staals