Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2004 09:07:03 +0000
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Discussion on the future of floppies in 5.x and 6.x

Wes Peters wrote:

>So you'll be signing up to do the floppy release engineering, and to
>modify the kernel so it can load the boot-device modules dynamically.
>That's great news!

If the kernel changes don't support the established distribution format,
the kernel changes are broken, not the distribution format. If the
kernel changes must happen at some point and the distribution format
must therefore become "the package", then that's fine, but that change
(including being able to split packages over several physical
distribution "units") has to happen first, surely? I'm happy to get
involved in any team looking at that as it falls under something I've
been looking at for the last year or so in my spare time - package
management and installers.

>The dog isn't sleeping, it's dead.  Like everything else in FreeBSD, it
>takes time.  If someone wants to donate that time, it'll continue getting
>done, otherwise it'll fall by the wayside.

Understood. I just think saying "let's get rid of floppies" is shooting
a dog that happens to be near to hand because you don't like that dog,
to stretch the analogy. Personally, I think getting the package
management issues sorted so that distribution becomes independent of
physical medium (so floppies, CDs, etc. can be used or abondoned at
will, along with future formats) is an admirable goal, but one that
should be on the 6- roadmap. In other words, getting rid of floppies is
not the discussion we should be having, if that makes sense?

--
Paul Robinson