Date:      Fri, 4 May 2007 11:53:44 -0400
From:      David Banning <david+dated+1178726029.919f5b@skytracker.ca>
To:        Eduardo Morras <nec556@retena.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't zip large files 2gb >

> What version of gzip are you using? From www.gzip.org:
>
> gzip 1.2.4 may crash when an input file name is too long (over
> 1020 characters).

not in my case.

> The buffer overflow may be exploited if gzip is
> run by a server such as an ftp server. Some ftp servers allow
> compression and decompression on the fly and are thus vulnerable.

I'm not running it via ftp.

> This <http://www.gzip.org/gzip-1.2.4b.patch>patch to gzip 1.2.4
> fixes the problem. The beta version
> <http://www.gzip.org/gzip-1.3.3.tar.gz>1.3.3 already includes a
> sufficient patch; use this version if you have to handle files
> larger than 2 GB.

Tried that version, but still I have the same problem.

A new official version of gzip will be released
> soon.  > > Also, check if you have compiled gzip with 64bit I/O.
> Check this gzip FAQ http://www.gzip.org/#faq10 too.  > > HTH > >

I used their suggestion for unzip;

gunzip < file.gz > file

which actually completes (siting a crc error),
but gives a file size 2 bites greater than the original when unzipped.