Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:10:10 +1100
From:      Sam Lawrance <boris@brooknet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ability for maintainers to update own ports

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 22:15, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> You might want to have a look into NetBSD's pkgsrc-wip:
> It's not exactly what you propose, but a step in the same direction: get more
> people involved in the ports system.

pkgsrc-wip seems to be a great idea - rather than having new ports and
updates only tucked away in PRs, they're easily available for general
review and improvement. This is an excellent feature.

However, there's still that rift between pkgsrc-wip and the main pkgsrc
repository. While pkgsrc-wip provides a valuable testing ground, it adds
another (optional) layer to the process of creating and maintaining
ports. (I completely acknowledge that I say this without having any
experience of using pkgsrc-wip). I think it can be improved upon.

I think I sort of have an idea of what I have an idea of :) I'll try to
consolidate my thoughts and perhaps knock up a plan and prototype.

Regards
-Sam.