Date:      12 Aug 2003 23:04:37 +0000
From:      James Earl <admin@icionline.ca>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Toshiba battery save mode, and ACPI

Hello,

I just recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite A10-REH and soon there
after installed FreeBSD 5.1.

ACPI works with the exception of some quirks, of course.

My question has to do with what's called "battery save mode" located in
the BIOS config.  I imagine this is on most Toshiba notebooks with the
same version of BIOS.

Before the FreeBSD kernel loads, when I unplug the AC power to the
notebook the screen will dim according to the "batter save mode" setting
in the BIOS config.  When I plug the AC back in, the screen immediately
brightens.

Once FreeBSD is booted (with ACPI enabled), this no longer works.  I
have noticed that the changes do take effect if I close the lid and open
it back up.

I guess I'm wondering if there's a way to have the FreeBSD ACPI let the
BIOS do it's job in that area...  am I dreaming?!  :)