Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 23:43:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sue Bauer-Lee <sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bulding new versions

To all who were able to assist, thank you. After resolving the missing
library link, I was able to complete the build and installation of XFCE.

I also found what I guess I was really looking for - the config stuff used
by the ports collection - makefiles (or script defs), etc. Made a couple of
changes to suit my env and off we went.

> My favourite autoconf scripts are the ones that don't probe
> deeply enough.  For any potential autoconf-script-writers out
> there, I happen to think the best scripts only do minimal to
> reasonable probing, but they do check for all needed
> capabilities.  They provide a method to override everything and
> anything they probe.  They also fail with a helpful message if
> something such as the missing library -lxforms or headers can't
> be found.

I like this idea. Wonder what would be required to make it happen.

> > > I would like an easier alternative to adding packages to FreeBsd.
> >
> > 'An easier alternative'?  Than either of (1) selecting a package from a
> > menu, and (2) cd /usr/ports/x11/xfce && make install ?
>
> I agree with Sue and would like an easier alternative, too.
> There are actually a lot of things I would like.  :)  Something
> that throws up a nicely organized list of "What would you like to
> do today?", and responds to keyword queries with both appropriate
> categories (having something less than the weighty list of ports
> existing categories do) and individual port suggestions.  This
> utilility could cough up URLs associated with the port, and
> handle everything from one interface.  Something like an improved
> and refined version of msmith's `pib' backed by an equally
> improved and refined ports system.
>
> [Not to suggest that pib is in any way deficient! :-]

even if there was a way to 'customize' what currently exists; i.e. modify
options that some of the scripts use (fetch -p), how it handles the
inability to gain access to ftp sites that it tries to download files from
and gets rejected, etc. Came across an interesting one today. I think it
was a downloaded copy of fvwm95. Options in the 'make install' required
GNU utility arguements that the FreeBSD versions didn't support  - such as
'cp -vp' and 'ln -svf' to name a couple. End result, rather than fight all
the changes, was to mount CD and run 'sysinstall'. Easy enough to do if
you are physically at the machine and/or what's on the CD is a current
version.