Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:53:29 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Ryan Mooney <ryan@pcslink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Phoenix BSD meeting results

> Well the tuesday meeting I held here in Phoenix AZ was a raving success.
> We had room for about 20 people and almost 40 showed up.  People stood in
> the halls OUTSIDE the room for an hour and a half to listen to the talk
> (to say that I was amazed is a little bit of an understatement).   Looks
> like this will lead to presenting to a couple of the local Linux Groups
> too (the linux users were there in force, I gave out newsletters and
> stickers for them to pass around at the next meeting).  Anyway there are
> now 16 actual users in the local user group, which isn't to bad for

Excellent!  This, my friends, is more of the kind of advocacy I
personally would like to see a whole lot more of.

So far most of what this list has talked about has been either how
Linux is doing (snore) or how we need to Organize Ourselves in 3 part
harmony before anything can happen.  The above posting tells quite a
different tale of someone who simply said "hey, I'll go talk and see
what happens" and, as we can see, actually getting out there and doing
the advocacy appears to be the MOST SUCCESSFUL method established to
date! :-)

Any of you know of any local Linux groups in your area?  Get in touch
with them and offer to speak about what FreeBSD also has to offer, not
attacking their OS or their license but simply placing ours in
contrast to it, and I think you'll be surprised (like Ryan) at how
well it goes.

Once you've done the legwork of actually scheduling something and you
would like a little logistical support, drop me an email telling me
what you need (stickers, newsletters, etc. - give me also *quantities*
please!) and I'll do my best to help you out.  Again, only do this
once you're seriously committed though since these things cost us real
money and we don't need to be sending it out to people who'll just
leave it in a drawer pending an event which, for whatever reason,
never actually comes together.  I know how that goes!

Thanks.

- Jordan