Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 08:25:34 +0200
From:      Borje Josefsson <bj@dc.luth.se>
To:        Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Winmodem question

Hello,

I already tried that (well, almost...). I downloaded the ltmdm-1.4.tgz =

file and worked with that instead of the port.

After inserting the line You suggested I rebooted, and got the modem =

recognized (shows up in dmesg etc), but then I got:

	"could not find ioport base reg" (line 1194 in ltmdmsio.c)

I also did some research (better name for "surfing" :-) ) and found this =

page:

	http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/

which says that AMR modems are not supported. As my Windows 2000 says =

"Toshiba software modem AMR", I guess this is a rather strong indication =

that I'm having bad luck here, or do You have any other ideas?

--Borje

On Wed, 03 Apr 2002 20:47:17 BST Gavin Atkinson wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Borje Josefsson wrote:
> =

> > I am trying to get FreeBSD 4.5 working on a Toshiba Portege 2000. So
> > far so good (sound, X, built-in wavelan etc works fine), but I haven'=
> > got the winmodem to work. Since I haven't had a laptop with a winmode=
> > before, I am not really sure what to do... Under Windows the modem is=

> > shown as "Toshiba software modem AMR", manufacturer "LT" and uses the=

> > driver "LTSM.SYS", so I guess it is a Lucent modem.
> > I have installed the ltmdm port without problems, and the module load=
> > without a comment, but the modem doesn't respond:
> =

> No comment at all? It should at least print a line or two in
> /var/log/messages showing that the driver has discovered the modem. I g=
et:
> ltmdm0: <Lucent Winmodem> port...
> ltmdm0: type Virtual 16550A
> =

> If you don't then I guess the driver doesn't recognise the modem (which=

> sounds like it's the case, given the info below). What does pciconf -l
> give?
> =

> > root@porter 42# tip winmodem
> > tip: /dev/cual0: Device not configured
> > link down
> =

> If you're getting no recognition from the above then i'm not suprised..=
=2E
> =

> > I have seen some mails describing "winmodem" being displayed by dmesg=
, but
> > I see no such thing, the one I guess is the winmodem is the following=
:
> > pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=3D0x1179, dev=3D0x0805) at 18.0 irq 11
> =

> I have no idea what this is. It's not on pciids.sourceforge.net or in
> /usr/share/misc/pci_vendors, so I guess it's very new. 1179 is however
> Toshiba's vendor ID. Do you have windows dual booting on this machine? =
If