Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 95 18:36:23 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        karl@Mcs.Net (Karl Denninger)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, karl@mcs.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Twinchannel SCSI Adapter change

> > You really need to probe them in the same order as DOS (the BIOS) does,
> > or you may not be able to get to your root disk and boot from it as well..
> > (the C:->sd0
> >      D:->sd1
> > --
> >      E:->sd2
> > mapping would become
> >       C:->sd1
> >       D:->sd2
> > --
> >       E:->sd0
> >

> > and I'm pretty sure  we couldn't boot from that :)
> > The boot/kernel translation needs a LOT of work..
>
> If the kernel read the EISA config, this would be possible.
>
> But it doesn't, and thus isn't.

Reading the EISA config requires a VM86() interface.

This is because you will choke on about 20% of all EISA systems if you
make the normal assumption about CMOS memory size: the EISA standard
does not have specific requirements for per slot CMOS memory sizes.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.