Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:49:00 -0500
From:      "Alvaro Rosales R." <aran80@wintersperu.com.pe>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems with Compaq Proliant ML370

Hi guys , I was happily running my FReeBSD server with one Pentium III processor,
but when I added a second processor ( identical to the first one) I recompiled mi
generic Kernel ,I uncomented the two lines that are needed to have an SMP kernel ,
and when I install the kernel I cant boot, I get this message on my screen:
Time counter "18254" frecuency 1193182Hz CPU : Pentium III/PentiumIII
XEON/Celeron (997.46-MHZ 686 class CPU) Origin =Genuine Intel
.................................... Changing APIC ID for IO APIC #0 from 0 to 8 on chip
Programming 35 pins in IOAPIC #0 IOAPIC#0 intpin 2->irq0
then the server hungs

This are the two lines I uncommented inorder to have a SMP enabled Kernel:
options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel options
APIC_IO                 		# Symmetric (APIC) I/O

The BIOS of my server recognizes the two processors when i Trun the server on. I
had to recompile my kernel without SMP to make my server work again.

Thanks in advance for your help ,

Alvaro A. Rosales Rojas. ---------------- a.k.a. RAZA
Proud user of  Pegasus Mail
Soporte Tecnico de Sistemas
Procacao S.A
3368113 ext 260

"You'll never know how far you can go until you break the chains that tie your soul "