Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:30:28 -0400
From:      "Isaac Mushinsky" <itz@mushinsky.net>
To:        "Vlad GURDIGA" <gurdiga@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64 freezing

On 3/6/08, Vlad GURDIGA <gurdiga@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried to boot from an amd64 boot disk but both 6.3 and 7.0 releases
> freeze after hardware identification. The last message it show (after
> which the system freezes and the CPU cooler goes crazy) is this:
>
> md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4194304 bytes at 0xffffffff80b2f428
>
> AFAIK, my hardware is 64bit-capable (I have a working 64-bit Solaris
> 10 installed).
> I have attached dmesg log from the currently working i386/7.0-RELEASE.
>
> What should I try?

Do you have a SATA controller? I had a similar problem, and it was fixed by
setting SATA to AHCI mode in BIOS rather than the default IDE. This is still
not ideal, because for some reason my system will not boot without ACPI.
With ACPI, I get some exceptions i n acpi_thermal; other than annoying
acpi_thermal messages and a couple of minutes of delay apparently associated
with acpi it boots ok.

I have Abit IP35-Pro board, with 2 SATA drive attached.