Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 00:02:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: reading this list and staying stable

I recently received this in response to my post.  Some names have been
changed to protect the innocent.  Any thoughts?  I know some have
complained about more frequent releases (both from a stability
standpoint and a financial one).  Is anyone else concerned by this
rapid development cycle?

> Other than bugs and security fixes, what kinds of things are discussed
> here on -stable?  And would it make more sense to stick with -release
> if i can't keep up?

if it make any difference .. i've been following freebsd via
the -release cdroms for over 4 years now. i started with ver
2.0.5-release and would upgrade  every time a new -release made

<snip>

its been ok, untill recently when for some  strange reason the
american contingent has decided freebsd needs to be release
every five minutes and the bug testing of the prelease versions
has been shoddy to say the least.

<snip>

but i have also started to serioulsy concider moving over to
openbsd, the quieter, more measured pace of life is  more
predictable and things happen in an orderly manner .. not as it
seems to be on freebsd where the coffee'd up superexitable
juveniles seem to be getting release, for the sake of number
bumping, happy.

my apologies if your world view differs, i remember  what
freebsd used to be like, i've  seen the changes happen and can
see where some of them are leading .. it is not all good.