Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2007 19:39:45 +0300
From:      Nikolay Pavlov <quetzal@zone3000.net>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, thompsa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: should if_lagg balance outbound traffic on an lacp connection ?

On Thursday,  5 July 2007 at 12:44:53 +0100, Pete French wrote:
> > bce1 is a concern here as it is not in the ACTIVE state. On your switch
> > have a look at the lacp stats, here is an example from mine with a 4
> > port aggregation.
>
> I have to admit that I did not setup the switch and have never looked into
> this part of the network before. So it's been 24 hours of 'teach yourself
> cisco'. But whilst researching the lagg stuff on the net I came across
> an OpenBSD thread which says that you can only use lagg's LACP implementation
> to aggregate ports connected to the same physical switch. In this case the
> networking company who installed the switches have installed a pair, and
> each machine has one port connected to each switch. The pair of switches
> is allegedly configured to act as a single switch, so I should
> just be able to aggregate ports between them. Indeed we have one solitary
> windows box connected the same whayy which does this quite happily. But I
> do not know if this is possible under FreeBSD
>
> > c2950#sh lacp neighbor
> > Port      Flags   State     Priority      Key       Key     Number   State
> > Fa0/11    SA      bndl      32768         0x1       0x1     0xB      0x3D
> >
> > As you can see all ports are in 'bndl' state which means they have been negoiated.
>
> O.K., trying this on each switch I get the following:
>
> Port      Flags   Priority  Dev ID         Age     Key     Number   State
> Gi0/2     SA      32768     0019.bb24.0422  25s    0x90    0x1      0x3D
>
> and
>
> Port      Flags   Priority  Dev ID         Age     Key     Number   State
> Gi0/2     SA      32768     0019.bb24.0422  23s    0x90    0x2      0x3D
>
> So I dont have your first 'State' column in the output! But I do have the
> final one (is the first one simply an english readable alterantive to
> the hex?). So my ports are in 0x3D as are yours.
>
> > And all ports here are ACTIVE. I have been meaning to add IOCTLS to
> > display more lacp stats to help debug this sort of thing.
>
> I still only have one ACTIVE port. I am going to try using 'failover'
> mode on lagg instead, but it is a shame :-( Do you think this has anything
> to do with this being two switches ?
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> -pcf.

Try to use fec mode and EtherChannel(on Cisco side) because there is
no any special protocol requirments like it is for lacp case.

Here is an example on Cisco side:

interface GigabitEthernet2/3
 description Goes to 2/7 of ServerIron 400
 switchport access vlan 55
 switchport mode access
 logging event link-status
 load-interval 30
 speed 1000
 no qos
 channel-group 1 mode on
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
!
interface GigabitEthernet2/4
 description Goes to 2/8 of ServerIron 400
 switchport access vlan 55
 switchport mode access
 logging event link-status
 load-interval 30