Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:38:04 -0500
From:      "cmustard@nyc.rr.com" <cmustard@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   new install of 5.2 ISO aft hour system freeze cold reboot only option

Situation:=20

This is a new install of 5=2E2 ISO from ftp=2Efreebsd=2Eorg=2E (install we=
nt fine,=20
etc, everything is up and running well,=2E=2E=2E but)=20

Everything runs fine for about an hour and a half then everything freezes =
(=20
doesnt recognize keyboard, mouse, anything etc ) and i have to do a cold=20=

reboot ( ouch! )=2E=20
This is in console or in X=2E (I experienced similiar problems trying to=20=

run linux on this box, it would get kernel panics, only cold reboot would=20=

release it=2E) I do believe this to be related to ACPI but have no proof=2E=
=20

(i would love to be able to provide more diagnostics or log output but=20
there is no output to include, when the system comes back up, all it knows=
=20
is that it was shutdown improperly)=20

(I hear the processor fan speed increase alot too, like when i'm compiling=
=20
from source, it's almost like something is overworking the processor and=20=

wont release it)(side note, i use usb and a kvm switch, i don't think=20
that's related though, it seems to work fine)=20

This is a relatively new machine but i have seen other posters running=20
similiar, so it should run freebsd fine=2E=20
Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon/XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X Deluxe=20=

Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 SPP, nForce2 MCP-T=20
AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 266 MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor=20
512MB RAM (Geil)=2E=20

I have learned quite a bit by searching the lists which helped the APCI=20=

problems etc=2E=20
5=2E2 wont boot 'regular (choice 1)' unless you disable parallel port in=20=

bios=2E ( boot process will just hang on Timer miliseconds display output,=
=2E=2E=2E=20
sorry not with the box, don't remember the exact output )=2E=20

also, i found this:=20
> However, I managed to work around these freezes by removing the two=20
> SMP-related lines from my kernel configuration:=20
>=20
> options SMP # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel=20
> device apic # I/O APIC=20

so, i will try that tonight=2E=20

I am hoping someone with a similiar set-up (these are very popular modern=20=

componets) can share experiances or a bios set up or kernel config, or=20
other information=2E I really want to run freebsd on this box=2E=20

thanks for your time=2E=20

http://mail2web=2Ecom/ =2E