Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2006 23:27:26 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 6.2/AMD64: missing driver for SB Audigy SE / CA0106-DAT

Dear Sirs.
My FreeBSD 6.2-PRE/AMD64 box has been equipted with a PCI Soundblaster
Audigy SE soundcard. This soundcard unfortunately does utilize a chip
called CA0106-DAT as "pciconf -lv" reported.
I tried several snd_xxx driver found in most recent FreeBSD
6.2-PRE/AMD64 stuff, but even snd_em10k1 doesn't work. So I googled
around and found ports/em10kx and tried this one - also with no success.
As I could then read in the README, my obtained soundcard especially
with the utilized chip isn't supported (yet?).
So I tried OSS, but this driver is a commercial third party driver and
therefore a bit suspicious in my opinion. By the way, the driver only
produces a ear-killing noise - no sound, nothing.

Well, as I could see in many other forums around the net, the
SoundBlaster Audigy SE is a quite common soundcard and I would wonder if
it isn't supported by FreeBSD. Are there any efforts pointing to this issue?
I should have better read the exclusions on supported hardware, too late
I realized that the soundcard of my box has not an emu em10k1 chipset.

Any comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Oliver

P.S. Please send eMail direcectly or in CC to my address as I'm not on
this list, thank you very much.