Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:28:12 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: donating money to the FreeBSD project

Please ignore the comment about donations being tax deductable,
however, since FreeBSD is not a 501(c)3 charity (yet).  I've already
asked the webmaster to correct that unless he knows something about
Walnut Creek CDROM's role in this (making it a tax deduction) that I
don't.

There are advantages to *not* being such an organization for certain
companies who have to deal with 501(c)3 organizations entirely
differently and can't just "send a check" as easily as some companies
have already sent checks to FreeBSD, Inc.  There are also individuals
for whom a true charity is an advantage - it's not just a simple
matter of one corporate organizational scheme or the other being
superior.

Running a legal charity is also more work here in the U.S., at least,
since there's greater legal expense at tax time in getting all the
forms properly filled in.  Without expert help at this, you'll quickly
lose your 501(c)3 status and have to go apply for it all over again,
which is Not Fun, so it costs you more to keep all the i's dotted and
t's crossed.  We've never really collected all that much in donations
on a yearly basis so it wasn't an attractive scenario to imagine
accounting fees eating up a substantial portion of the donations.  If
donations continue to climb at their current rate, however, then it
may soon be quite practical to go through all the paperwork of
creating a registered charity as well as the existing corporation.
I'm not sure how the cross-flow of cash would work since I'm not
an accountant, but I'm sure it could be worked out in such a way
that companies who needed to deal with other companies could continue
to work with FreeBSD, Inc. and individuals could deal directly with
the charity.  It would all go towards the same basic causes anyway
(promotional expenses, hardware, custom software) in the end.

Anyway, just an idea.  For all I know, the above scheme is also
blatantly illegal.  I have to ask the accountant. :)

- Jordan