Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:39:03 -0600
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins Esq." <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
To:        zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A multi-OS Installation of FreeBSD 2.2.8

zhihuizhang wrote,

> I got three primary partitions in my machine and the FreeBSD is the last.
> I tried to setup the primary master disk in BIOS as follows:
>
> type     size    clyls    head     precomp    landz    sector mode
> user     6449    784      255         0       13327      63    LBA

I've found, after much difficulty, that FreeBSD doesn't like the way
linux  fdisk allocates logical partitions within the extended partition.
They are done in a way that makes bsd think there's an invalid
disklabel.  Sometimes it complains, and sometimes the kernel give a
paging error and panics/reboots (but with a countdown).

I've found no way around this save rebooting until success. And I'm
seeing no evidence so far that linux and freebsd can coexist on the sam
e machine :(  3.1 may haave solved the problems with 3.0 trashing ext2
filesystems, but i can't take the risk.  Linux kernel 2.2 can r/w mount
ufs filesystems, but it seems to do something not quite right.  I ran
with a ufs partition on /home for about three days, I got
plenty of errors from netscape (while supposedly idling) that it
had an error mounting the bookmark file.  THen, suddenly, any attempt
to write to /home crated an error message that it was a read-only file
system--contrary to what mount reported.  And any attempt to umount
irretrevably hung, impervious even to -9 . . . and there's no ability
to fsck a ufs partition from linux.

ANd with my bsd partition before my linux partition, partition numbers
change mid-way through boot.  And heaven forbid that this cause linux
to attempt to mount a ufs partition as ext2, as this kills it beyond
recovery.

So booting is a problem with both installed, and even once you're up,
you can't share files unless you run them through a dos or minix
partition . . .

rick, who's given up