Date:      29 Mar 2001 11:05:24 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd@intelos.net
Subject:   Re: installing software

freebsd@intelos.net (Ashby Gochenour) writes:

> Hey Guys,
> I have a question about installing software.
> What is the best way to locate and install?
> I've been using /stand/sysinstall so far, but
> that takes a long time for me to find what I am
> looking for if I even do find it.
>
> For example, I want to install netscape and imapd on a 4.2 system.
> I've spent about an hour going through package groups and finally listed
> all packages and still didn't find what I was looking for.
>
> In debian linux, I would just do:
>
> host> apt-cache search packagename
>
> host> apt-get install package.deb
>
> I've been very impressed by FreeBSD so far, and would be even more
> impressed if I could figure out a better way to find and install
> packages :) Any help or pointers to a FM to RTFM would be much
> appriciated.

Installing the ports system is one easy approach for this sort of
thing; you can use "make search" locally, or if you prefer a web
interface,  you can use the search facility at
 http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

The handbook includes a whole section on the ports system, which is
probably enough documentation to figure it out.