Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 20:39:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Greeves ROOT <root@mfn.org>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Panic during backups

Greetings...

	Three days ago we attempted to automate our backups rather
then having the night folks do it. A simple shell script (below) is
the vehicle.

	On the first night out, the system ran the job (from cron,
as root), and ran out of file desriptors.  So I built a new kernel
with maxusers=30, and waited for the next night.  Next night's
backup crashed but left no reason why.  Yesterdays backups at least
left a trail 8=>

	This is being retyped, as I couldnt cut/paste it:

swap_pager: indefinite wait on buffer: device: 131073, blkno: 6320, size:
8192
swap_pager: indefinite wait on buffer: device: 131073, blkno: 86104, size:
12288
fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
fault virtual address	= 0x40
fault code		= supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xf012eba3
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xefbffef4
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xefbfff58
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process		= 2213 (mount)
interrupt mask		=
panic: page fault
syncing disks...

	It may have "synced disks", but there were broken inodes
all over the place when it came back up.  Also, as an interesting (?)
aside, the IP stack was still answering ping and connection requests
when we finally put this box out of it's misery...

	The first pass through the script completed succesfully,
wd0a was backed up.  wd0s1e was not even started: the email said
it couldn't find the file system being backup up to: an nfs on
"greeves".

	Any thoughts?  This script seems to work when I use it
from the command line, so why is it dying (and taking a machine
down with it) when running from cron?

TIA,

John Blau
Asst. Admin.
jb214@mfn.org

#!/bin/sh

# Perfors nightly backups of all filesystems to a remotely
# mounted backup server (greeves)
#

# setup the basics
#
BACKUPSERVER="greeves"
BACKUPROOT="/backup"
OLDBUDATE=`echo "/backup/"``date -v-1d '+%y%m%d_'``hostname -s`
NEWBUDATE=`echo "/backup/"``date '+%y%m%d_'``hostname -s`

# Kludge, what's a kludge :)

/sbin/mount greeves:/backup /backup
if [ $? != 0 ]; then
	echo "Mount of greeves:/backup filesystem failed! Aborting."
	exit 1
fi

echo "This job will process the following filesystems:"
mount | grep /dev
echo " "

#
# Loop through the fstable, backing up only
# those devices that start with "/dev"...
#
f_iles=`mount | grep /dev | cut -d" " -f1 | sed 's./._.g'`
for eachfile in $f_iles
   do
	echo " "
	echo "                    * Now Processing `hostname -s`:$eachfile *"
	OLDBU=$OLDBUDATE$eachfile
	NEWBU=$NEWBUDATE$eachfile
	if [ -f "$OLDBU" ]; then
		echo "Old backup file found:"
		echo "$OLDBU"
	   else
		echo "WARNING: No previous backup found!"
		echo "         Expected: $OLDBU"
	fi

	dump -0auf $NEWBU `echo $eachfile | sed 's._./.g'`
	#echo "Dumping"
	if [ $? != 0 ]; then
		echo "ERROR! BACKUP FAILED: ABORTING!"
		exit 1
	   else
		echo "Backup successful, removing prior backup."
		#echo "removing any prior backup"
		rm "$OLDBU" 2> /dev/nul
	fi
done