Date:      Wed, 2 Nov 2005 19:18:38 -0500
From:      "Steve Bertrand" <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Upgrading 4.11-STABLE to 5.4-STABLE

> I want to upgrade my 4.11-STABLE server to 5.4-STABLE. I'm
> very used to using cvsup to upgrade between minor releases
> (IIRC the box was 4.9 or 4.10
> originally) but a jump between major versions is scaring me a bit :)

Oddly enough, and a little OT, (but semi-within the topic) I'm trying to
update a 5.0 box to RELENG_5 right now with several different errors,
too many to mention (generally they occur after rebooting after my
installkernel. I can subsequently reboot off of kernel.old, as always).

Since this is only a data box (running Samba), I'm not too worried, as
I'll just reinstall...but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if
there is a better approach to this particular upgrade
(ie...incremental), as well as OP to get us both to STABLE.

Note I also have a real production box at the following with the same
issue, however, it's much more relied apon, so an upgrade as opposed to
rebuild solution would be nice:

FreeBSD pearl.ibctech.ca 4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #4: Fri Jun 24
12:14:21 EDT 2005     steve@pearl.ibctech.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PEARL
i386

Steve