Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:56:35 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        "Fred J. Lomas" <aj@8hill.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports

You can't su to root unless you are in the 'wheel' group.  To add yourself
to the group, edit the /etc/group file and add yourself.  You need to be
root to edit /etc/group.

As far as ports, I'm assuming you mean the ported software that you can
build via the Makefiles in /usr/ports.  You first need to build and install
the port using the 'make && make install' command.  You will also need
either the 3rd & 4th CDs from the Walnut Creek CD set or access to the
internet to build the ports because the ports mechanism downloads the
source code from one of those places.

Hope this helps.

"Fred J. Lomas" wrote:

> Hi,
>           I am a newbie to BSD and I have just installed 3.3 as a dual
> boot that all works fine. I ma having trouble with ports trying to ge
> them to run , I get permission denied and I am logged in as root or they
> just don't run  even if I go into my user account I get the same thing
> what am I doing wrong?? also I want to be able to su to root from my
> user account but is says that Im not in the right group to do that...
>
> Aj

PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware
schwenk@math.udel.edu                            |  (302)831-0437