Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:37:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions/problems with vm_fault() in Stable

Terry Lambert said:

> The biggest problem I had was the thing was moving too fast for me
> to be able to track it adequately.  That was probably just me (or
> maybe a lack of documentation describing the thing... ;-)).

Yep, it seems that things are now happening more slowly, but more
coherently.  When I was working on it, it was either a case of doing
the work, or doing the docs.  Things are quite stable now, and whomever
has the time would possibly have a chance of tracking progress.

> > Also, the FreeBSD VFS/VM code already supports the ability to
> > have non-mapped buffers (and has for 2years.)  There is alot in there that
> > might make the complexity look excessive, but that is only because there
> > are features in there that are almost ready to go.
>
> Actually, I think some of the tighness of VM system integration into
> the VFS code is a mistake.

I think that since the amount of interaction needed is now understood,
a rearchitecting of the code would valuable.  IMO, the VFS and VM code
need to be bound in very intimate ways, and most seperation between
the two is artificial.  My guess is that it is probable that the efforts
had historically been split between VFS and VM, and the interfaces were
defined without both parties understanding the needs.  Since that is
understood now, things should be reworked.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid