Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:34:57 GMT
From:      "Greg Smith" <gregsmith59@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCMCIA ATA HD's under FreeeBSD 4.1R

When trying my PCMCIA HD under FreeBSD 4.1R I noticed the following:

1)  there was a VERY long time gap between when the drive was recognized on
insertion, and when the drive was powered up and mountable (see timeline
below)

2)  I can power down (pccardc power 1 0) this drive without unmounting.
unmounting afterwards causes panic fatal trap 12 (supervisor read, page not
found)

Number 1 is an inconvenience, and it would be nice to alter some settings
somewhere to speed up the process since the machine seems to be locked up
during the interval.  Number 2, however, has me a little worried.  This
suggests that pccardc/d do not interact with the file system.  That would
imply that any uncommitted writes would not be flushed to the drive before
the drive is powered down.  [Please excuse my ignorance if Unix does not
have the concept of delayed writes.]

Thanks for you thoughts,

Greg Smith

---timeline---
9:44:38 [card physically inserted]
9:44:41 card inserted, slot 1
9:44:47 card ---- recognized
9:47:01 ata2 at port ----
9:47:11 ata2-slave: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
9:47:11 ata2-slave: identify failed
[power up of drive]
9:47:15 ad4 248MB ---- at ata2-master using BIOSPIO
9:47:15 ata2: ---- inserted

when repeating the above right afterwards the 0:02:14 delay was slightly
changed to 0:02:12, so this was not a fluke.

---win95 timelines---
9:55:00 [card physically inserted]
9:55:03 machine beeps
9:55:06 card powered up
9:55:12 card mounted automatically (contents shown)

9:55:30 [card power down requested]
9:55:33 card powered down
9:55:33 card unmounted automatically (contents disappear)
  the last two are probably simultaneous, except for the delay in redrawing
the screen

---config---
device  ata
device  atadisk

---pccard.conf---
io	0x110-0x160 0x180-0x1e0 0x230-0x2e0 0x300-0x320 0x340-0x360
irq	9 11
memory	0xd4000  96k

# Integral Peripherals Viper HDD Series
card "INTEGRAL PERIPHERALS" "ATA CARD"
#	config	default "ata" ?
	config	0x01 "ata" ? iosize 16
	logstr	"Integral Peripherals ATA HD"

---fstab---
# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
/dev/ad0s2b		none		swap	sw		0	0
/dev/ad0s2a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
/dev/ad0s2f		/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad0s2e		/var		ufs	rw		2	2