Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:35:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        T Glaser <tntglaser@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Free BSD

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, T Glaser wrote:

> This website leads me to believe that this is an OS software package?
Yes, this absolutely true. I quote the headline on
http://www.freebsd.org :

=09What is FreeBSD?

=09FreeBSD is an advanced operating system for x86 compatible,
=09AMD64, DEC Alpha, IA-64, PC-98 and UltraSPARC=AE architectures.

x86 compatible means, you can run it on the usual Intel / AMD
systems.

> don't know for sure though. What did I stumble across here? What are you
> offering for free?
You sound a little bit afraid. Although the FreeBSD logo is a
little red daemon called Beastie, there is nothing evil in it.
You don't have to sell your soul, neither buy a washing-machine.

> Not real clear here on the website. If this is an OS do
> you have any screen shots of what it looks like or is it command line?
FreeBSD is a little bit like linux:
If you like, you can set up a very basic OS with command-line
(nice for slow old machines), if you have the hardware you can
set up a modern multimedia desktop system like Gnome or KDE
(which are also well known in the linux world). All kinds of
server and network applications are available (and free).

If you have got some space on your harddisk, you could just give
4.9 -RELEASE a try.
For startup questions
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook
is very helpful.