Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2017 03:22:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk@iherebuywisely.com>
To:        "current" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Critique this plan?

  It seems I've a brick wall [too many ports to use pkg effectively ] -- [ =
3551 ]=20
and too many need ' pkg lock ' in ' v11 ' for ino64 fixes, 12.0-CURRENT, an=
d quite a few
others fail to build from ports, either compiler, so are also 'pkg lock ' o=
r in a few
instances binaries/trees copied from other installs, so that my DESKTOP can=
 continue
running a if it were 2003 Microsoft based, vs 2004 Freebsd January based, w=
here a reinstall
seems in order OR, I should just sit and wait til 13.0-CURRENT and proceed =
that way.
  Meantime, how is the following as a workaround
  mv /usr/src /src-2017
  mv /usr/obj /obj-2017
  mkdir -p /usr/src
  mkdir -p /usr/obj
  cd /usr/src
  bw, etc
or
 [ clean install ]
 mount -t ufs /dev/gpt/2004root /mnt-root
 mount -t ufs /dev/gpt/2004var  /mnt-var
 mount -t ufs /dev/gpt/2004tmp  /mnt-tmp
  mount -t ufs /dev/gpt/2004usr /mnt-usr
 into which I surmise an installworld would fail as multiple DESTDIRS are i=
ncluded.=20
  nullfs ?
 Revert to all-in-one / system, no /var /tmp /usr?
 or some new install=20
  None of these are plans as of yet, save proceeding without any upgrade wh=
atsoever.  I recall
unpacking base.txz [etc] to fix a failing installworld in the recent past, =
so any foolproof
method of that would also be welcome.  But I suspect much would remain undo=
ne,=20
initial *proper* setup of /etc/mail, /etc/groups, as well as the loss of fi=
ne-tunings I've
done over the past 13 years or so, if it were done preplanned as a new-then=
-rsync-the-old
system-over-it sort of reinstall  [ not looking forward to undoing years of=
 week-by-week
this-rc  that-rc fixups...      newbie in so many areas who just copy-paste=
d the
work of others into this system, to excellent, usually effect.    ]=20
  Apologies for the email that went on three times longer [ more verbose  ]=
 than I planned, sort
of making its Subject:            a  misstatement of the body of the email.