Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:10:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Stephen D. Spencer" <bsd-stable@boneyard.lawrence.ks.us>
To:        Peter Ong <peter@haloflightleader.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

     freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing
>
> I apologize if I'm off.  But it seems you guys are talking about improving
> FBSD 4.5 networking performance.

Ooc, are you using samba 2.2.1 or 2.2.2+?  There were oplock problems with the
2.2.1 release which caused eratic behavior on low-traffic systems as well as
complete lock-ups of the parent samba process on higher load boxes.  You may
have  been seeing better performance on linux due to the presense of kernel
oplock code.  I don't think -stable has this feature.   At any rate, my
experiences with the 2.2.x samba tree exonerated FreeBSD of being considered
the culprit.  If you are running < 2.2.2, turn off opclocks alltogether or
upgrade to 2.2.2+.

Regards,
Stephen

Stephen Spencer |