Date:      Wed, 21 Sep 2011 20:20:54 +1000
From:      Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@freebsd.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Deterministic panic 9.0-BETA2 with X + drm/radeon

On 09/21/11 20:02, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 21/09/2011 12:55 Kostik Belousov said the following:
>>>
>>> I think that this is a well-known but not yet fixed issue. I think that
>>> it should already be addressed in the general drm part of kib's Intel GEM
>>> code. Please see this thread for some earlier history:
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-November/020914.html
>>>

> It is, but only for Intel driver. The approach cannot be applied to the
>> old dri1 drm drivers, because they need the drm device lock held in the
>> interrupt handler.
>
> Not sure if this is true for radeon though.
> I've never had any panics/warnings with the patch and INVARIANTS and WITNESS.

Thanks for the pointer to that thread Andriy, sounds pretty much
identical to my situation (I run KDE4 as well). I'll try the patch and
see if it improves things. I guess I could have been triggering this
panic all along when I was running 8-STABLE, but because I didn't have
WITNESS/INVARIANTS in my kernel it never happened?

On a probably unrelated tangent, have you also noticed that sometime
over the past 6 months or so, the KDE4 small "preview" windows that show
up if you hold your mouse cursor over a task in the taskbar causes the
window manager to get very unhappy and put black blocks all over the
screen until you minimise and resize a few apps?

Cheers,
Lawrence