Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:11:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a Mac

On 21 Aug 2002, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> Date: 21 Aug 2002 19:01:54 +0000
> From: Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
<snip>

> > > Yeah, it's a nice interface, I find it gets more annoying after time
> > > though. To be honest, my fave interface to any unix I have used so
> > > far is 4Dwm from SGI. There was a few attempts at creating Aqua for
> > > Linux, but Apple asked them to stop working on it. Short sighted I
> > > would think, but what else is new?
> >
> > I too miss the simple and clean 4Dwm.
> >
> > But its not just the look of Aqua I desire for FreeBSD, but the whole
> > shooting match behind it. If FreeBSD had that then all MacOS X
> > applications should be as easy or easier to port to FreeBSD than Linux
> > apps are today.
> >
> > And Apple would have a state of the art x86 platform.
> >
> > --
> > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net
>
> A stste of the art i386 platform would be the death knell of apple.
> They are a hardware company.  If suddenly all they had to sell was OSX
> and the other 3 apps they make that no one uses where does that leave
> them?
>
> Apple is a lot like Sun, or SGI, or to stretch the analogy a tad
> Compaq/HP.  When you buy their systems you are buying a turn-key
> solution.  They (sometimes) designed the hardware, they wrote the OS,
> they wrote the drivers, and there's on number on the back of the
> handbook you call when something gets fux0red.
>
> I'm not claiming to have the end-all authoritative opinion on this, but
> apple WOULD have to do some radical shifting around of their operation
> if they were going to do OSX on i386, and I just don't see that shifting
> around happening.
>
> Josh

The reason we got a PowerMac was for the tightly integrated hardware/opsys
design. It's very cool, and I'm a PPC fan anyway. I like Aqua for it's
polish and visual appeal, but I like XFree86 for it's ridiculous, arcane
configurability and speed.

I would rather have OSX on PowerPC hardware and nice, clean, quick FreeBSD
on my Athlon.

But Mr. Kelly's comment about "a state of the art x86 platform" still
stands.

JB

/*
 * John Bleichert