Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:49:34 +0100
From:      Didier Wiroth <didier.wiroth@mcesr.etat.lu>
To:        Dan Pelleg <daniel+bsd@pelleg.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New to FreeBSD

Dan Pelleg wrote:

>"JCBotha" <jcbotha@cedar.org.za> writes:
>

>>Dear Sir
>>
>>I am new to this operating system and became interested when I started to
>>look at a solution for a network set-up. I do not know if I will be able to
>>master this OS because I grew up with Windows and know nothing about UNIX OS
>>systems. With windows I at least can help myself and find my way around.

Hi,
I started a few month ago, and I honestly don't regret my decision!
FreeBSD is great! For your information, I knew nothing abut UNIX OSes two!
Do yourself a favour, try it!

I had no *NIX OS knowledge at all, I thought I would start with Linux
but I honestly gave up! What I didn't like about it is that every single
Distribution had it's own directory structure and startup scripts etc!
When I was posting questions at a mailing List I received answers
covering Red hat or other  distribution and that was confusing for me as
a beginner!

FreeBSD is well structured and it is explained why and where to find
what! Very very very important! You will see.. :-))

I would recommand the following books in order of preference:
1a) The FreeBSD Handbook - if your are not sure about choosing FreeBSD
or not first  have a look at the online version of the book (see the
link below)
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
2) Unix Power Tools 3rd editions (which was revised and covers FreeBSD,
it will give you Unix base knowledge)
3) FreeBSD Unleashed (it is really good book, and covers a little bit of
everything)
4) Absolute BSD (it is a really great book but may be to difficult as a
starter)

Good luck! Simply give it a try, you will see after some training and
reading you will fall love it!
Didier