Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:49:35 -0700
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@freebsd.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: patch to have make clean not recurse in ${PORTSDIR}

Doug Barton wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Maxime Henrion wrote:
>
> > Currently, if you do a ``make clean'' in /usr/ports, it will recurse
> > through each port's dependencies and clean them too.
>
> 	This has been discussed at great length on various lists. The two
> answers to your question are, A) You can already do what you want to do,
> with an option that allows you NOT to do it if for some reason you
> actually WANT to repetitively clean dependencies,

I never said my patch was bringing new functionality, the point is to
change a default which doesn't make any sense IMO.  However, it has a
side effect of breaking the case where you actually want to clean
dependencies repetitively when in /usr/ports, as mentioned in my mail
already.  I also said that I can change it so that it's still possible
to do it, if I was given a good reason to do so.

>  and B) The fastest way
> to clean up your ports tree is not to use make at all, it's:
>
> find /usr/ports -type d -name work -exec rm -r {} \;

I'm well aware of that, and I use something similar often.  You could
also use -maxdepth and -mindepth so that it's even better, as somone
already noted.  You could also use portsclean or whatever, this is not
the point at all.  This patch is _not_ a performance patch, it's a patch
to have "make clean" in /usr/ports behave as expected, some could say
intelligently.

Are these two reasons all what was given when this has been discussed
previously ?  Honestly, they doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers,
Maxime