Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 23:15:40 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <perlsta@sunyit.edu>
Cc:        daniel_sobral@voga.com.br, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uiomove()

> I'm hoping i don't get yelled at here, but why not queue all subsequent
> open operations and block those processes operations on the device?
> at least until a read is done?

This doesn't necessarily help; if a process holding an open descriptor
on your device forks, there are now two processes holding open
descriptors but there has been no second open() call.  This has been
discussed to death.

> what's the point of an encryption card if you can't have multiple processes
> acesses it, at least "transparently" in parrallel?

I dunno, but the card in question performs stream, not block
encryption, and there is no mechanism (that Daniel seems to know of
anyway) to recover context from the card to allow switching streams.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\