Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2017 09:37:37 +0000
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: LLVM port(s) take very long time to package

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:43:14AM +0200, Michael Gmelin wrote:
> > On 12. Apr 2017, at 05:43, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > pkg was eating 100% (of a single core) during that time, so it looks
> > like it's actually busy (not waiting for I/O or something), but with
> > what?  And can it be fixed?  LLVM ports are real PITA to (re)build,
> > and while ccache helps to greatly reduce the build times, 3/4-hour
> > package time still cripples it.
>
> It's probably busy compressing the package. Try setting PKG_NOCOMPRESS=1
> in /etc/make.conf (works ok when just building a package with make,
> didn't test with poudriere[0]). When creating packages, the current
> compression algorithm can't take advantage of multiple cores, so it's
> kind of a bottleneck on modern machines.

That is my current best guest as well, but I could not confirm it because
/usr/local/sbin/pkg-static is stripped by default and I could not see any
function names when I attached gdb(1) to it.  Will rebuild pkg(8) shortly
WITH_DEBUG to get more information.

Other alternative to PKG_NOCOMPRESS=1 could be PKGSUFFIX=.tbz (pkg-static
create -f tbz ...), will play with that as well.  Thanks,

./danfe