Date:      Fri, 7 May 2004 12:31:01 -0400
From:      epilogue@allstream.net
To:        4711@chello.at, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help! -- acroread failing to launch

hi,

i recently uninstalled almost all of my programs, cleaned out the cruft,
and re-installed only the programs i was actually using.  +2Gb yay!

well, since reinstalling acroread, i'm having problems getting it to run.
i vaguely recall having the same issue, when i first installed the program
many moons ago, but do not recall what to do to fix.  here is the error
message:

> acroread
/usr/local/Acrobat5/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading
shared libraries: libXt.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

> locate libXt.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6

i have tried with and without the following paths in my rc.conf file (with
reboot, naturally).

ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/ /u sr/compat/linux/lib /usr/compat/linux/usr/lib
/usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib"

ldconfig_paths_aout="/usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat/aout
/usr/X11R6/lib/aout /usr/local/lib/aout"

this is the version i have installed:
acroread-5.08       View, distribute and print PDF documents

finally, the program was installed with portinstall, so all dependencies
should also have been installed.  i do have linux_base_8 installed
*instead* of 7, but i fixed that dependency through pkgdb -Fu.  (also, i
have had it working this way in the past, so this shouldn't be the
problem).

if anyone has any idea what might be wrong, please let me know.

>> from /ports/emulators/linux_base-8/pkg-descr:
>> If you want to run X11 applications, install the
>> x11/linux-XFree86-libs port.

>> hth
>> ch

> yes, christian, it helped enormously.  thank you.  not sure how i
> missed that message, but am really glad that someone caught it.  :)

thank you very much,
epi