Date:      Wed, 27 May 2009 23:10:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Graham Bentley <admin@cpcnw.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UK Keyboard in 7.2 console and xorg

> I have jsut loaded up 7.2, fetched the ports and installed xorg / fluxbox
> etc  - for first time my kb / mouse didnt work in xorg but now I have that
> sorted with enabling hald etc

sorry if stupid question, but have xorg got radical changes within last
months?

I never needed hald to have keyboard and mouse under X working. it's all
just matter of xorg.conf, and keyboard and mouse just need setting a type
(like polish in my case).

> However, I have noticed that the GBP symbol does not work? In console I
> get a beep, in xorg nothing. I have tried iso and cp850 keymaps

I can answer you in no-hald case. There are 2 things

1) If Xorg generate proper event when you press keyboard to get GBP
symbol. You may check it with xev

2) If your fonts are set properly, and your xterm (or rxvt or whatever you
use as a terminal) is configured properly so it will both accept and
display it!

about text mode console - i have this in my rc.conf:

keymap="pl_PL.ISO8859-2"
font8x14="iso02-8x14"
font8x16="iso02-8x16"
font8x8="iso02-8x8"

to have fully working polish letters. You should have similar done for UK
set. look at /usr/share/syscons/ to select proper items.