Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:07:29 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@sage.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: "Connection refused"

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 07:14:43PM -0500, Charles Swiger wrote:
[ ... ]
>>DNS for that address is broken, so sendmail on the other machine is
>>unable to get a valid a record to make a connection, so you get
>>"connection refused":
>
> 	tao is on my private 10.0.0.247 IP.   I *have* added
> 	ns1.thought.org to my /etc/mail/access file and did a
> 	"# make maps"; I also reinitialized sendmail.
>
> 	Still get "Connection refused"  /etc/hosts* andn
> 	/etc/resolv.conf look good.  What else??

You can try telnet'ing to port 25 on the problem host from your other machine
by hand and see what happens.  However, sendmail really wants valid DNS for
mail servers, so changing /etc/hosts probably isn't going going to be enough.
  Consider using a mailertable entry with [10.0.0.247] to disable MX lookups,
rather than a hostname...

--
-Chuck