Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:06:58 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I change from wd devices to ad devices?

Roger Merritt wrote:

> There's a little note tucked away in /usr/src/UPDATING, dated 20010501,
> that informs us the wd device compatibility is being removed from the
> kernel. Naturally, I didn't notice it until I'd already done a buildworld,
> buildkernel, etc. and tried to reboot. Thanks, BSD, for kernel.old; I
> really needed that.
>
> I've jotted down notes about error messages I observed during the fiasco,
> but basically the problem is I don't know what ad0* devices should be
> listed in my /etc/fstab. The devices originally used were wd0s1a, wd0s1b,
> wd0s1e, wd0s1f, and wd0s1g. I tried the obvious (to me) tactic of just
> changing all the wd's to ad's. Ho, ho, ho! ls /dev/ad* gives me:
> /dev/ad0        /dev/ad0c       /dev/ad0f       /dev/ad0s1      /dev/ad0s4
> /dev/ad0a       /dev/ad0d       /dev/ad0g       /dev/ad0s2
> /dev/ad0b       /dev/ad0e       /dev/ad0h       /dev/ad0s3
>
> So can anyone tell me how these devices map to the wd0s1a-g? There must
> have been a lot of discussion when the change to the ATA driver first took
> place, but I'll be damned if I can find anything in the archive of the
> mailing list. Of course, the search function is pretty horrible, but I
> would think search terms like "ATA driver" or "change wd to ad" would find
> something. There is an appendix to UPDATING mentioned in a couple of places
> but there's nothing there at the end of the file.

They map 1 : 1. My /etc/fstab on the system that started out using 2.2.8
looks like

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0
0
/dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1
1
/dev/ad3s1f             /tmp            ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/ad0s1e             /usr            ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/ad3s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2
2

Just make sure you have those devices. There is an example of creating
the devices in /usr/src/UPDATING around line 216.

Kent

> Meanwhile, my kernel is slightly out of synch with my userland, but so far
> it seems to be working. I would spend more time searching, but this is my
> school's mid-term and I have to get the grade reports out by Friday so will
> have to wait until after the week-end to do the seeking.
> --
> Roger
> --
> Roger