Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:52:47 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        dieterbsd@engineer.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Headless box with PVR-250 - ideas needed

dieterbsd@engineer.com wrote this message on Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 20:23 -0400:
> For playback on a TV, there are Ethernet-to-TV boxes.
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39
> Some recent TVs have Ethernet and do DLNA.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLNA
> If you want things like seek/fast-forward/freeze-frame/etc.
> do your homework, word is that many (perhaps all?) of these
> things fail badly on anything except plain playback.  I
> have yet to read about one that does these things well.
> (If anyone knows of one, please let us know.)

For playback I use my PS3.  It does fast forward/rewind quite well...
It has 1.5x, 10x, 30x, and 120x...  I do use it w/ gige and that is a
necessity as w/ HD content, it will read at 10-30MB/sec when seeking...
I have tried it over wireless (the built-in 11g and a 11n repeater) and
it really doesn't work that well.  I use a simple web interface with
links to the raw MPEG2/AC3 MPEG-TS stream.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579