Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:10:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Steve Smith <Steve_Smith@anite.com.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: My Unisys Aquanta hangs immediately after Kernel config

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Steve Smith wrote:

> This machine just won't get past the kernel configuration stage. I have
> tried disabling everything, to no avail. The machine is pretty basic
> (Pentium 133 I think, on-board IDE controller, only a 3com 10/100 PCI
> card installed. The last output to the screen is:
>
> chip0 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=10b9 device=1531 subclass=0) rev 178
> on pci0:0:0
> chip1 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=10b9 device=1523 subclass=1) rev 179
> on pci0:2:0
> vga0 <VGA compatible display device> rev 22 int a irq 9 on pci0:10:0
> pci0:11:     ACER labs, device=0x5219, class=storage (ide) int a irq ??
> [no driver assigned]
> vx0 <3Com 3C905 fast Etherlink XL PCI> rev 0 int a irq 11 on pci0:15:0
>
> Anybody have any ideas?

I don't see anything unusual... what problem are you having?  When you're
``disabling everything'', DON'T disable sc0, the system console.

I suspect that the pci0:11: device may be confusing you.  FreeBSD doesn't
have a PCI-specific IDE driver; the ISA IDE driver (wdc) will pick it up
fine.  In addition, chip0 and chip1 are motherboard bus bridge chips that
simply haven't been programmed into the PCI identifier code.  FreeBSD
doesn't need drivers for these so that is harmless as well.