Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 00:58:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@lucy.bedford.net>
To:        fook_sheng@capgemini.com.sg (Fook Sheng Chan)
Cc:        djv@bedford.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to see what ports and pakages is installed for my FreeBSD

Fook Sheng Chan wrote
> Hi
>
> I run /stand/sysinstall and go to "Configure", "XFree86", and I try to
> configure it using "XF86Setup" and "xf86config" and this message
> "XFree86 does not appear to be installed! Please install The XFree86
> distribution before attempting to configure it". I remember selecting
> the "All" option during installation (from FTP). The installation went
> fine, and I still have disk space left when I run df now.

Hmm.  The basic X installation is not visible with "pkg_info".
What do you have under /usr/X11R6? On my machine:

[root@castor root]# find /usr/X11R6/ | wc
    4384    4384  184110
[root@castor root]#

that is, about 4500 files.  I'm using about 60MB of disk for this.

> I chose to install X distribution again using the custom method, but it
> stopped when I boot up another BSD having the same ip, but my question

i.e., another box? Yes, that will ruin the networking. This might be why
the X installation is not visible.

> is why it install the bin again when I chose to install the X-user
> distribution, it will cost me a lot of time.

I think you may have to do this, though.

> Anyway I didn't see XFree86 when I run pkg_info -a -a |more, I can't
> understand why it isn't there when I have chosen All option during
> installation.
>
> My monitor is HP (Super vga), and 72Hz in vga mode(I get this from bios
> setup),  don't know what vga card, it's in built in the mother board, my
> pc is a HP Vectra VE 5/75, mouse is ps/2.

This should all eventually work. I'm puzzled why the X installation
failed, though. My guess is that the conflicting IP numbers might
have ruined something.

Dave