Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 2008 09:23:46 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Confused About Linux Compatibility

I am attempting to install a Linux RPM of Legato's Networker Backup
Client on FBSD 7.1  I do not know if this is possible but I hope so.  :)

I have followed instructions in the Handbook and
http://www.linux.com/articles/53055.  I am at the point of installing an
appropriate linux_base port and linux_base-f8 seemed like the most
recent/reasonable.  However when I attempt to install, I get this output:

** Port marked as IGNORE: emulators/linux_base-f8:
        compat.linux.osrelease: 2.4.2 is not supported
** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
        - emulators/linux_base-f8

Further Google searches suggest that compat.linux.osrelease is a sysctl
setting.  I've seen reference to setting it to 2.6.16 but also that this
is experimental.  I found http://wiki.freebsd.org/linux-kernel but this
leaves me confused as well.

Bottom line, what linux_base port should I install and do I need to set
this sysctl to something?  I'm confused...

Thanks,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!