Date:      Mon, 11 Jul 2011 14:46:15 -0600
From:      Sam George <tech@dracoquies.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LSI MegaRAID 9260 on FreeBSD 8.2 amd64

On 7/7/2011 05:53, Martin Nilsson wrote:
> On 2011-07-04 03.20, Sam Vaughan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to use an LSI MegaRAID 9260 on FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 using mfi and
>> I have two quick questions:
>>
>> LSI's MegaRaid SAS documentation [1] states that "Currently, the
>> FreeBSD driver is supported only on 32-bit FreeBSD". On the other hand
>> the FreeBSD 8.2 hardware compatibility page [2] states that the mfi
>> driver supports the MegaRaid 9260 in all three of the i386, ia64,
>> amd64 ports.
>>
>> Is LSI's documentation simply out of date or is there some issue with
>> the mfi driver on amd64?

(I joined the list recently so I missed the original message.)

I have an LSI 9260 with FreeBSD8.2 on a Xeon system (amd64).  It seems
to work ok.  But it does come up griping about commands timing out
occasionally.  See this other post of someone else who has the same
issue:
http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/mfi-4-command-timeout-loop-on-boot-on-releng-8-2-tt3963874.html#none

I don't know what's going on, but except for the error, it /seems/ to be
working.  I can still access the array.  And eventually it stops
complaining.  I need to do more testing though before I'll really be
satisfied that it's ok.

-Sam George