Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:12:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Matt Ruzicka <matt@frii.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tracking if disk is busy

We've got a couple servers that appear to have particularly busy disks and
I was trying to determine if there is a way to more easily poll this data
for tracking.

I'm not sure if this is one of those can't see the forest for the trees
issues or not, but the only means that I am familiar with to see the
percentage of time the disk is busy is to run 'systat -vmstat'.  I was
hoping for something more concise that I could run periodically and maybe
even graph (realizing that watching this might well distort the results).

It appears that iostat on Solaris gives this information, but I can't seem
to mimic this functionality with FreeBSD.

Are there other ways in FreeBSD to pull the percentage of time the disk is
busy?

Thanks.

Matt Ruzicka - Systems Administrator
Front Range Internet, Inc.