Date:      Mon, 18 May 2015 16:20:50 -0700
From:      Jeffry Killen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
To:        Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD - <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: looking at manual page for rc.conf

On May 18, 2015, at 1:51 PM, Charles Swiger wrote:

> On May 18, 2015, at 1:37 PM, Jeffry Killen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
> wrote:
>> I am looking at the manual page for rc.conf and am wondering
>> how I would specify default router address when using DHCP?
>
> Normally one doesn't need to do so; DHCP is supposed to configure
> that for you.
>
>> I don't see any further explicit elucidations beyond the text
>> quoted below.
>>
>> text from man page:
>>
>> It is possible	to bring up an interface with DHCP by adding
>> ``DHCP'' to the ifconfig_<interface> variable.
>> For instance, to initialize the ed0 device via DHCP,	it is possible
>> to use something like:
>> ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"
>>
>> actually, I have
>> ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
>> Is the router address something that DHCP will figure out?
>
> Yes.
>
>> This interface will be for connection to internet via DSL modem
>> ISP is CenturyLink.
>>
>> or alternately, suppose I want to assign a static address to
>> interface
>> that would connect to internet via DSL modem.
>> ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.0.4 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>> When the router is at 192.168.0.1, how would this be specified.
>
> Add: defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"  ...to /etc/rc.conf.
>
>> I have also looked at ifconfig(8) and have not  found anything.
>
> ifconfig(8) sets up an interface; route(8) manages routing.
>
>> I have also had the kernel complain via a shell script set to
>> run in
The last was text I started and abandoned and neglected to remove.
sorry.
roughly, "run by cron every 11 minutes because I had what amounted to
commands in rc.conf, or syntax interpreted as commands. That issue was
resolved long ago. It sent e-mails to root every 11 minutes
complaining about
what appeared to be a unrelated issue.

>> I am also concerned about setting up tcp wrappers with inetd
>> to forestal possible attempts to access via telnet, ssh, ftp and
>> even MySql server (as I have seen frequently when I had static
>> ip address service).
>
> tcp wrappers typically only affects services launched by inetd, which
> doesn't normally include SSH or MySQLd.
I did have entries in tcp wrappers config (name escapes me now) and/or
inetd.conf for ssh and mysql, as I recall.

>> This I have done when I did have static ip
>> service. But with fire wall in DSL modem and DHCP configuration
>> is it useful and advantageous?
>
> Yes, even a local per-host firewall improves security by a useful
> amount.
>
> Regards,
> --
> -Chuck

Thank you for your time attention and response
JK