Date:      23 Feb 2004 12:09:17 -0000
From:      tmseck-lists@netcologne.de (Thomas-Martin Seck)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OPTIONS, LATEST_LINK, and RCng

* Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com> [gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports]:

> Freddie Cash wrote:
>
>> While updating the www/dansguardian* ports to use the new OPTIONS and
>> LATEST_LINK variables, I noticed that the www/squid port now uses RCng
>> for the startup script.  This is good news, because it means I can
>> rename the dansguardian startup script back to dansguardian.sh and
>> just use RCng to make sure it's started after squid.

No, the script is rcNG _aware_. If rc.subr is not present in the two
locations where the scripts expects it to be, the script will just
behave like any other rc script. An added bonus is that you get reload,
restart, and status functions from rcNG.

>> One quick question:  Should "squid" be added to the REQUIRE line, or
>> is that only for system services?
>
> Since you have a RUN_DEPENDS of squid, yes.
>
>> unset rcNG
>> [...]
>> if [ -f /etc/rc.subr ]; then
>>       . /etc/rc.subr && rcNG="yes"
>> else
>>       if [ -f /usr/local/etc/rc.subr ]; then
>>               . /usr/local/etc/rc.subr && rcNG="yes"
>>       fi
>> fi
>
> You should just USE_RC_SUBR=yes with

I deliberately avoided this dependency for the squid ports since rcNG is
not needed for this port to work. If users want rcNG on pre-rcNG
systems, they can install the rc_subr themselves and the squid start
scripts will then use rcNG.