Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 07:59:09 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Colman Reilly <careilly@monoid.cs.tcd.ie>
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C2 Trusted FreeBSD?

>      SGI also *claims* to meet C2 with only Discressionary Access Control, in
>      other words, "plain old Unix user and groups." Note emphasis on "claims",
>      as they developed Trusted Irix for B1 or thereabouts and were somehow
>      prevented from having more than one system under test. And never submitted
>      a system for C2 testing. So they provide a white paper detailing how plain
>      old Irix with the addition of the Trusted Irix auditing system meets the
>      intent of C2. This has been Good Enough to use plain Irix with audit trails
>      at work.
> Think it would have been good enough if it had been a free OS crowd writing
> the paper and not SGI?

It all depends on who your approving authority is. We've worked hard to
establish a good relationship with ours. He respects our judgment. And
availability of source code is no small plus in this business. One of their
first concerns is to prevent a security violation. Next is to detect the
violation. And once detected, the ability to analyze it and prevent it from
happening again.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net