Date:      10 Jul 2000 21:41:43 +0200
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre%no-spam@citeweb.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, clefevre@citeweb.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: etc/rc.d & things...

"Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com> writes:

> Mike Meyer wrote:
> >
> > Yes, that's correct. And yes, not all is bad in SysV. In particular,
> > having a directory where you can find scripts to stop (and restart)
> > subsystems is very nice. I think the multiple levels (rc?.d) is a bit
> > of overkill. Either the system is up (meaning everything is turned
> > on), or it's down, and the sysadmin who brought it down can start the
> > subsystems s/he needs. Having a single init.d to look in for those
> > things helps in that process.
>
> The multiple levels are there to deal with changes in state. In BSD, for
> instance, we have single user/multi-user. A number of other variations
> can exist, both in heavy duty servers where you might want to bring
> certain services down for upgrade and then back up, and "desktop"
> machines, such as notebooks where you can be stand-alone, docked into
> different networks (eg. home/work).
>
> Thing is, SysV does it in a very ugly way, and not flexible enough
> either.
>
> This has been talked to death. Look at these:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/~dfr/devices.html

off topic.

> http://www.freebsd.org/~eivind/newrc.html

well. what about a mix of the SystemV approach (ala HP-UX) and the IRIX one
(using something like chconfig).

HP-UX :

/sbin/init.d/script start_msg|stop_msg|start|stop (FMPOV, there isn't not
enough possible choises, such as status, restart, config, command, etc.)
/sbin/rc[S0-5].d/[SK][0-9][0-9][0-9]script linked to /sbin/init.d/script
/sbin/rc (+ /sbin/rc.util) sources /etc/rc.config then runs /sbin/rc?.d
startup files
/etc/rc.config.d/services are configuration files (ala bourne shell).
/sbin/rc.config sources /etc/rc.config.d configuration files.
/usr/sbin/ch_rc is not so easy to use to modify /etc/rc.config.d/services.

IRIX : oops, don't remember how works startup scripts. I just remember me
       configurations files :

/sbin/chconfig [on|off] service or something like that.
(don't remember if it's possible to change options through chconfig,
but I guess no).
/etc/config/services enable or disable services.
/etc/config/services.options just contains arguments to services.

so, a mix of both w/o the levels stuffs + a /etc/rc.default.d (a synonym
to /etc/defaults/rc.conf but in separate files between HP-UX and IRIX
configuration files) would be a begining.

please, don't do something like AIX :) they use a binary database to stock
there things...

> and my favorite substitute proposal:
>
> http://www.roguetrader.com/~brandon/sas/.

effectively, the last one is interresting. a major problem w/ this one is the
use of "perl" which is not available a boot time since it is located in /usr.

Cyrille.
--
home:mailto:clefevre%no-spam@citeweb.net Supprimer "%no-spam" pour me repondre.
work:mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre%no-spam@edf.fr Remove "%no-spam" to answer me back.