Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 1995 12:57:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com>
To:        ianw@ee.su.oz.au (Ian Wynne)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

	HI there ppl,

> Hello Everyone:
>
> I haven't posted this to any of the news groups because I thought it would
> only serve as flame bait.
>
> In my day job I'm a network administrator for a small network using
> a Windos NT server. When the server is heavely loaded, it crashes. Sometimes
>after it's crashed one of the user permissions has been corrupted ( and perhaps
>
> When Windows NT 3.5 is powering up it says it's build number 807, so there
> have bee 806 previous attempts and it's still unstable.
>
> I use FreeBSD at home and I haven't been able to make it crash by loading it up.I can untar something from tape, gunzip something and compile something else
> all the same time, it slows but doesn't stop.
>
> I've found FreeBSD to be very stable.

	Well , I have FreeBSD 2.1Dev. installed on P5/90-128Mb RAM/1+4Gb HDD/
	SCSI/PCI with 30-35 users working in the same time ,
	elm'ing,pine'ing,tin'ing,gzipping/gunzipping/(un)tarring, running Bots
	( alas ) and doing god_only_knows_what_else, while happy author
	runs the X11 - some 2 Emacs'es + gdb , gnuchess under xboard , plus
	4-6 xterm sessions on the local net -
	and it works incredibly fast and pretty stable ( hopefully I've fixed
	the problem with X server ( S3) freezing the sytem sporadically, due
	to the help of folx here // they helped me to solve the problem - not
	to freeze the system // ).

	The load average is somewhere between 0.2 - 1.5%.

	To be short - the guys from FreeBSD team've made a GREAT job.
	Personnaly I've found this mailing lists as well as usenet
	groups dedicated to the FreeBSD the best tech. support I've
	seen :)

	_All questions I asked here were answered the same day .
	The BSD community grows day by day.
	I do not see any alternative to the FreeBSD conserning
	user servers for Internet providers.
	Providing one has a pretty good brand of PC - he/she can
	build a very stable and fast server ...

	The same time capricious nature of PC's architecture
	provides bottomless supply of problems for OS developers -
	incl. Windows/OS-2/Unices.

	Other problem FreeBSD users face with is lack of the
	commercial apps they used to have on Windos/DOS ...
	It's quite obvious that Microsoft - the main ... well ,
	reseller/manufacter of the SW for the PC's is _not
	interested in porting the apps to Unix platforms .
	The only app I'm aware of is MS Word. A huge amount
	of time was spent porting FoxPro to Unix.
	Other SW manufacters are much more democratic ... at
	least considering _commercial flavors of Unix.

	Anyone , who works with Unix/X11 long enough understands
	that properly written app. can be ported to _any graphical
	environment pretty fast - incl. Windows/X11/MacOS

	I think we all  here will have no problemo paying for
	the commercial product for the FreeBSD. Equal amount
	of money to that we pay for say , Windows version.

	As sysadmin I'm pretty satisfied with free products I have
	on my system , but users as always want all apps they
	used to have on Windows to work on the Unix. They don't
	want to know the difference between different OS'es

	I hope that some sunny day they will start porting apps
	to Unix/X11 , incl.FreeBSD , and from that day on will use much more
	#ifdef's in their new products ;)

	Rashid.