Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:53:30 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   WRITE_DMA errors on SATA drive under 5.3-RELEASE

I've gotten two messages like the ones below today on my production server
(5.3-RELEASE):

messages:Feb 27 14:48:17 freebie kernel: ad10: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=4848803
messages:Feb 27 14:48:17 freebie kernel: ad10: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA timed out

What do these messages mean?  The referenced drive is one of two identical SATA
drives on the server; it holds /tmp and /var.  I don't recall seeing
these messages before.

Is there a way to work backwards from the LBA to the filesystem so that
I can see which file was being referenced when this occurred?

--
Anthony